The Faculty of Architecture is a basic organizational unit of Poznan University of Technology. Its origins date back to 1945, when the Department of Architecture was opened at the Faculty of Civil Engineering of the Higher Engineering School in Poznan, and in March 1950 – it was transformed into the Faculty of Architecture. Professor Władysław Czarnecki was appointed the dean of the Faculty. In 1954, pursuant to the decision of the state authorities, the Faculty was closed. In 1972 the Department of Architecture was set up again and in 1978 it was transformed into the Institute of Architecture and Urbanism at the Faculty of Civil Engineering at Poznan University of Technology, which Institute provided tuition in the field of architecture to students studying Architecture and Urbanism. In July 1999 the Senate of Poznan University of Technology adopted a resolution on the establishment of the Faculty of Architecture.
At present the Faculty employs 54 academics and provides courses of 1st degree and 2nd degree studies to 1,100 students in two fields of studies: Architecture (prior to the change of name called: Architecture and Urbanism) and Fine Art Education. The organisational structure of the Faculty is composed of the following units: The Institute of Architecture, Urbanism and Heritage Protection, the Institute of Architecture and Spatial Planning and the Chair of Drawing, Painting, Sculpture and Fine Arts. Since 2006 the Faculty is licensed to confer the degree of a doctor in the field of architecture and urbanism. The programme of Architecture and Urbanism taught at the Faculty has been positively assessed by the Polish Accreditation Committee, and in 2013, as a result of the parametric assessment of the academic units, the Faculty of Architecture was assigned with A category by KEJN (Committee for Evaluation of Academic Units).